The Tablelands Schools Science and Sustainability Enrichment Program caters for Gifted and Talented Year 5 students from state primary schools on the Atherton Tablelands.
The program provides opportunities for students across schools to work and learn with like-minded peers through participating in a unique science curriculum that further extends and challenges them.
The program calls for students to use more sophisticated skills and greater engagement with abstract knowledge.
Students are involved in activities connected to the real world and their own experiences. They are encouraged to think more about the larger world beyond home and school, be autonomous learners and are intellectually challenged.
Students are extended and challenged through being involved with the development and facilitation of community environmental sustainability initiatives based on a local environmental issue that they have identified within the Barron River Catchment.
Students work with a range of industry experts who mentor the students, introduce them to scientific processes and concepts and assist them with field work.
Term 1 - 2019
3 Day Student Conference
- The Student Conference will provide students with an understanding of the program and the expectations required of the students along with the necessary scaffolding to ensure each student is able to successfully undertake the program.
- Day 1 - Sunday 3rd March: Excursion to Green Island
- Day 2 - Friday 8th March: Immersion Excursion - Bus trip around the Upper Catchment of the Barron River (based at Black Gully Campus).
- Day 3 - Monday 25th March: Project Planning day at Tinaroo EEC (Black Gully Campus).
Term 2 - 2019
Review and Planning Day
- Friday 31 May, 2019 (at TEEC - Black Gully Campus)
- This provides an opportunity to work alongside their peers and key teachers accessing telephones and computers to progress their projects.
- Industry Forum Presentations:
- Monday 17 June, 2019 (at Atherton State High School Auditorium)
- Students present their initiatives and progress to a range of community and government organisations and parents with individual written feedback being provided to the students by audience members. A panel of industry experts provide students with feedback. The presentations will commence at 6pm and conclude by 8:30pm.
Term 4 - 2019
Testing for 2020 students
- Monday 14 October, 2019
- ICAS testing (skills based assessment) for student selection for 2020 program
- Selection will be based on an Excellence Model. Student places will be offered based on ICAS results, class behaviour and effort results.
- The venue for the testing will be the Black Gully Campus, Tinaroo Environmental Education Centre in Black Gully Rd, Tinaroo
- Time: 4:30pm - 5:30pm
Successful students for 2020 announced
- Monday 21 October, 2019
- 2020 Enrichment students notified of their successful application through their school principal.
Review and Planning Day (2019 students)
- Monday 4 November, 2019 (at TEEC - Black Gully Campus)
- This provides an opportunity to work alongside their peers and key teachers in preparation for their final presentation.
2019 Tablelands Celebration Event
- Monday 18 November, 2019 (at Atherton State High School Auditorium)
- Students involved in the Tablelands Schools Science and Sustainability Enrichment Program for 2019 will present their project outcomes to an audience of their peers, family, industry experts and Education Queensland personnel.
- 2020 Enrichment students and their families are invited.